News reports have just revealed that callers supporting Harper likely misled thousands of voters in the last election. But we can undo this fraud, if investigators now work to find the truth of what really happened.
Last election, voters in as many as 45 ridings received misleading and fraudulent phone calls telling us to go to fake polling stations. New media reports show that this orchestrated attack on our democracy might have worked — flipping seats to benefit the Conservative party and giving them a majority in Parliament. Elections Canada and the RCMP are, thus far, limiting their investigation to one riding and the members of one political party — if we raise a massive public outcry they will be forced to expand their investigation to third parties and to dig into fraud across the country.
At minimum, our public officials should review all robocall contracts for election day, and we can make them dig deep in every implicated riding. Click below to demand Elections Canada and the RCMP act now to protect our democracy, then forward to everyone:
On election day – May 2, 2011 – Canadians were inundated with dishonest phone calls saying that voting stations had been moved, then directing voters to a wrong location. Some of these callers even posed as Elections Canada officials. We need get to the truth and to do that we need Elections Canada and the RCMP to expand their investigation and ask the courts to reveal all calling companies’ orders for election day calls. These calls were likely so widespread that they could have actually changed the outcome of many close races!
We already know that Guelph was targeted by misleading calls and that this was part of a complex and pre-meditated plan. Some of the calls used a number tied to a disposable “burner” phone paid for in cash and registered to a Mr. Pierre Poutine on Separatist St., Quebec. A conservative staffer working on the campaign in Guelph has already resigned and if Elections Canada and the RCMP expand their investigation we can get to the truth and confirm full responsibility for all the election day fraud, in all 45 implicated ridings and beyond.
Our government was elected under suspect circumstances rife with reports of voter fraud — but we can get to the truth. Click below to tell Elections Canada and the RCMP to expand their investigation:
Millions of Avaaz members rallied together to win anti-corruption laws in Brazil and in India and now Canadian citizens can come together to rescue our democracy. We can’t let governments steal elections and if we take action today we can win back our democracy.
Emma, Ari, Ricken, Laryn, Melanie and the rest of the Avaaz team
- Does Elections Canada have the clout to enforce laws? (thestar.com)
- Elections Canada probes suspect election calls in second riding: report (news.nationalpost.com)
- Independent watchdog says Canada’s 2011 elections may have been corrupt (boingboing.net)
- Conservatives had ‘absolutely’ no role in robocall affair: Harper (vancouversun.com)
- Robo-call probe may expand to Thunder Bay call centre (thestar.com)
- Robocalls probe centres on disposable ‘burner’ cellphone linked to black ops in Guelph riding (news.nationalpost.com)
- ‘We’ll have to call Gomery’: Opposition turns up heat on Harper as robocalls scandal intensifies (news.nationalpost.com)
- “Pierre Poutine” fingered in Elections Canada robo-call probe (thestar.com)
- Meet the prime suspect in the robocalls scandal – ‘Pierre Poutine’ (calgaryherald.com)
- Young Tory staffer who resigned amid robocalls scandal denies involvement (news.nationalpost.com)