Character biography of Shani Wennemein, from The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider, by Tim Holtorf (that would be me).
Full Name: Shani Wennemein
Nickname: Black Mask (this she doesn’t like as much, because it was forced upon her by those who glorified the nicknames for gunslingers)
- Age: 135
- Gender: female
- Date of Birth: 628 (Second Age of the Elves), Fifth month of the Moon, Last of the Season of Spring, Fourth day of Juno
- Ethnicity: Iroquois/Gaul (First Nation-North American Indian and European French)
- Occupation: Protector – one of the elves who keeps the evil creatures at bay, such as the venomous snakes and spiders
- Hair colour/style: long and black with two braids that hang from her temples down to her collar bone.
- Eye colour: brown
- Accent (if any): she has a thick Arkansas accent
- Height: 5’6”
- Weight: 115 pounds
- Tattoos: she wears a modified tattoo of her father’s house (Gaul) and her mother’s house (Iroquois) on her right shoulder.
- Piercings: small earring in each ear
- Birthmarks: none
- Disfigurements: none
- Scars: has a scar running from her forehead on the left side streaking down over her nose and ending on her right cheek that she acquired in a fight with a giant spider.
- How do they usually dress? Leather leggings, cotton or leather tunic with ties at the neck, she wears her father’s leather bracers, and has a pair of soft leather boots
- What do they wear to sleep? Just a long night shirt when at home, when camping will wear what she wears during the day.
- Do they wear jewelry? Her right earring holds a feather, about three inches long and the left earring is a small hoop with beads that hang at the bottom of the hoop, she has a necklace made of coyote claws and beads.
- Is there anything about their appearance they wish they could change? No.
- How would they look as the opposite sex? “I like boys fine ‘nough, but I’m better ‘n they are.”
- What do they smell like? Why (do they wear the scent or does it occur naturally)? Shani bathes, but she doesn’t use any perfume, she has a very rustic, mossy smell about her.
- Do they have an accurate mental picture of their appearance (how they see themselves versus how the world sees them)? How Shani sees herself and compares it to the world view is completely irrelevant to her. She knows that people find her a bit pushy and loud at times, and they feel she drifts away from the feminine (mostly the Scottish Celtic and Germanic and Prussian elves) but any of that “ain’t nobody’s business”.
- What are some of your character’s hobbies? What do they do with their time? Shani plays the banjo, guitar and harmonica. She is an avid reader, though not having her own library, she often travels to her best friend Pania’s house to read from her library.
- Favorite color: Orange, because it reminds her of autumn.
- What are some of their pet peeves? She does not like those who would disparage her friends. Even if a friend would say something crass about another friend (for instance, she does not appreciate those who would say Pania is confused and will find a good husband some day).
- What sort of gifts do they like? Weapons, she likes daggers, short swords, and books.
- What is their favorite time of day? Early morning, late evening.
- Favorite weather? Season? Spring and autumn, calm, not too hot and not too cold.
- Where do they like to spend their time? Shani lives in the forest between Brockton (the northern tip of the southern region of the Place With Many Names) and the Drum (an Iroquois/Cree settlement that stretches from the northern coast line to the southern region of the island nation)
- Favorite food? Favorite drink? Hot drinks, soft drinks, or alcohol? She likes anything fried, though she’s not one to complain about any food. She appreciates a good salad with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, she likes pan fried potatoes and pan fried onions. She also drinks whiskey but not in excess.
- Favorite animal? Dragon
- Do they have any pets? Do they want any? She has a small psuedo-dragon that perches on her shoulder named Scales. Scales isn’t so much a pet as he is a companion. He’s intelligent and will communicate things to Shani by way of head motions, small growling or purring, or rubbing his head against Shani’s cheek.
- What relaxes them? A good camp fire, and a good song.
- Do they have any bad habits? Whiskey, smokes fine rolled cigarellos.
Resources and abilities:
- Where did they learn their abilities? Shani learned most everything from her father and mother, though she did go to a school not far from where they lived near Arcanum Bridge on the north eastern coastline of the island nation.
- If they have an income, where does it come from? She sells leathers that she tans when out hunting, and she “liberates” funds from brigands that hide on the Merchant Road and Farmer’s Road between Stone Bridge and Brockton and between Brockton and Overbrooke.
- Where does your character live? Why did they choose it, and how did they acquire it? How do they handle intruders (graciously? violently?)? Describe the space. Shani lives in the forest just north of Brockton. It’s well protected with really just one way to get to her cabin, which was built by Shani and her brother Sywyn. Her cabin is surrounded by trees, with a small break that lets the sun shine through directly onto her cabin at high noon. There’s one trail that leads to the Farmer’s Road, where she has a sign post that tells travellers where she lives (and a place where she can receive mail). If there are unwanted intruders, she’ll often give them a warning, then usually pepper them with arrows (before going to Earth) or a hail of bullets (after she got her Colt .45s).
- Do they speak more than one language? Shani speaks the common elven tongue, French, Mohawk, Cree, Lakota, English and Irish.
Relationships and history:
- What is their family history like? How does it affect them? How do they feel about their family? How does their family feel about them? Shani`s father was killed during a war to defend the island nation against an invasion of orcs. She was raised by her mother, who is headmistress of the Arcanum Bridge Mage Academy. She has an older brother, Sywyn, who became a knight of the court of Arcanum Bridge, and is the head of the Patrollers (a group of knights who keep the peace in the region surrounding Arcanum Bridge). When Sywyn was younger, he was what Shani describes as being a little shit. However, he has grown to be more noble and thoughtful towards others. Shani has a younger sister named Wren. Wren is a Consoler, a knight who tends to the needs of those who have lost a loved one to death. They each love each other deeply, and would walk to the ends of the earth to help each other out. When Shani’s father was killed, she became closed for a time, but thanks to her mother, Shani opened up and began to realize that not all things will live forever.
- What were they like as a child? What was their favourite toy? Favourite game? Playmates? Shani was very opposite as a child to what she grew up as. She wore beaded dresses, with a red sash and often kept her hair in braids. While she still has her sash, she’s more comfortable in leather leggings. She often played Lacrosse and also darts (tossing a dart through a moving hoop). She didn’t have many toys, but she cherished the books she was given, which many believe gave way to her more adventurous nature. Her best friends are Pania Alow and Villith Argith. Pania is the youngest daughter of the Heralds Alow from Brockton, and Pania and Shani often read books together. Villith is the youngest daughter of the chief of the Cree settlement, and she and Shani would run wild through the forest together. Shani also often played with her sister Wren, her brother Sywyn, and Pania`s older brother Mandrel, and Villith`s older brother Waien.
Sex and Romance:
- What is their sexual orientation? Do they ever question it? Shani is straight, but a lot of people question that. Shani does not appear as the usual cis aspect of a straight woman. She’s never questioned her sexuality, and she’s never really had sex that often. When she does, it’s always under her terms.
- When did they lose their virginity? Who to? Where? What was it like? “Thet there is none o’ yer never mind.”
- What is their favourite sexual fantasy? “Thet there is none o’ yer never mind.”
- Do they have any particular fetishes or kinks? “Thet there is none o’ yer never mind.”
- What’s the strangest thing they’ve ever done in bed? “Thet there is none o’ yer never mind.”
- Is there anything in particular that they won’t do? “Thet there is none o’ yer never mind.”