Today is Towel Day, and as the link says, it celebrates the life and work of Douglas Adams, notable for the Trilogy in several parts, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
I must admit, my first introduction to Douglas Adams wasn’t until 1988. I had just graduated high school and was working a summer job in Lake Louise, Alberta. Up at the Chateau, to be honest. It was just on the Alberta side, as British Columbia wasn’t but a stone’s throw away. Anyway, I was standing in line to get stamps, right beside a rack of books. I began spinning through it, looking over the titles. At the time I was pretty big into detective novels and suspense, so when I saw Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, I thought it might be good.
It wasn’t what I expected, and in quite a good way. There were several plots and many things going on, but the one thing I always remember is the phone call the driver was having, and then dying in a tragic car accident. And trying desperately to make one last phone call as a spirit.
It wasn’t until that book that I picked up Hitchhiker’s. Sadly, in the mid 90’s, those books, along with many others, were stolen when my apartment was broken into while living in Rosetown. I really need to get those books back again.
At any rate, I will celebrate today with my trusty towel.
Until next time…
…keep ’em flyin’!
- Towel Day (improbablefrontiers.wordpress.com)
- A towel, it says, … (flickr.net)
- Interstellar Hitchhikers, Rejoice: It’s #TowelDay! (geeksaresexy.net)
- May 25: A Triple Threat (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Don’t panic and carry a towel (flipflipmeheidi.com)
- Happy Towel Day…and other travel accessories (inside-digital.blog.lonelyplanet.com)
- Got your towel? (scienceblogs.com)
- 10 year time capsule: Douglas Adams says goodbye (salon.com)